Thursday, March 4, 2010

Huge Burgers and Onion Rings

We are Contessas.

We are not afraid to get our hands dirty (sometimes our clothes) when we eat. We love food. Greasy, tasty, salty, delicious, lick your fingers good food.

For this very reason, we ventured to the small but well-known Mike's Grill. Believe it or not, Molly and Katherine had never been. Kat almost graduated without experiencing bliss on a bun.

While I waited for my two lovely friends to show up, I sized up the establishment. Lined with booths and diner style tables, Mike's Grill is the perfect college town eatery. It features a simple menu (no flipping required) on a board on the wall. The walls are covered with posters from Virginia Tech athletic teams of years past, and also an eclectic variety of Greek prints.

I recommended we all order burgers, since that is the specialty of the Grill. We were on an onion ring kick and decided to split a basket as well. Three burgers. Extra pickles.

We received our burger upside down on a plate. Molly and Katherine were pleasantly shocked at how massive the burger was for such a reasonable price. Before we dug in to our less-than- girly meal, we asked the waitress why our food was upside down. She explained that they serve the burger upside down because when you pick it up and bring it to your mouth, you will flip it right side up.

They think of everything.

The tasty beef patty was on a sourdough bun with fresh tomatoes and lettuce and of course lots of pickles! The onion rings were not overly greasy or oniony for that matter (I'm taking the liberty to make up my own word). I think they're the best onion rings we've had in Blacksburg but if you know of any other places that might give Mike's Grill a run for their money let us know!

In fifteen minutes or less, we devoured the feast before us. It was all amazing. In between bites we discussed future plans. It's hard to believe we actually talked about anything when we ate so fast, but we did. The only thing that makes goof food even better is good conversation.

We left Mike's Grill stuffed and satisfied.

Since this is a food blog, I wanted to share that I'm trying a new recipe this weekend. I am inspired by the movie "Julie and Julia" and I've been wanting to make the bruschetta (pronounced brusketta) that Julie Powell makes for her husband. So I'm strapping on my apron and giving it a try. If it is a success I'll post the recipe and pictures. Wish me luck. But until then... happy eating!



3 comments:

  1. i can't believe that you guys had never been to mike's!!! it's such a classic and has been around for so long. my personal fave is the barbecue :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Mike's but Five guys is also great for burgers!

    Glad to see another NRV foodie blog!

    www.branappetit.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete