Wednesday, November 4, 2009

At least our drink was free...

The Backstreet's lunch buffet was a disappointment. 

I realize I started this blog with a very direct if not harsh statement but using elaborate language here would only contradict how unelaborate (if that's even a word) the buffet was.  We met up at 12:30 as usual. Katherine and I were wearing our favorite t-shirts which was the first indication of a great day. Upon arrival we realized that our lunch included a drink.  Yay for Diet Coke! However, our drinks were not refilled as often as they were at Hakkaido Buffet.

I don't know the name of anything I ate today other than the pizza.  And even the pizza was odd.  We didn't find the common pepperoni or olives or even plain cheese that you would expect.  Instead we were greeted with pineapple, huge chunks of green pepper, immense pieces of onion, and a mystery ground meat.  We all tried some interesting sandwiches which consisted of meat and onion.  My favorite part of the meal was a sausage like dish with marinara and melted mozzarella, but for a lactose intolerant all the cheese was not a good idea.

One of the best parts of lunch was hearing the waitress shout out "the owner of a silver VW, you left your lights on!" I laughed hysterically, which made Katherine laugh, which made Molly say "guuuyyyss."  Molly later informed me that she did this again at Mill Mountain.  Although I would not recommend anyone spending 6.95 for such a mediocre lunch, this was, once again, the highlight of my week.  The three of us engaged in awesome conversations about girls weekend, and our DTR's with TC Montague, among other topics that are better left undisclosed.

To our followers, you might have noticed that we go through phases.  Our Asian phase ended last week and we have now embarked on an Italian phase.  Unfortunately, it kicked off badly and not even the free drink (which is probably not so free considering we didn't have too much on the buffet) was enough to make us want to recommend this restaurant for lunch.  Next week, we hope to encounter an even better freebie.  Gelato with the purchase of any lunch buffet. Believe me, we hope to bring you happier reports after that.

I was in a rush to head to work so I skipped out on our usual trip to Bollo's only to find out that today, yes my friends, today Bollo's had pumpkin chocolate muffins.  I would have been crushed, but at work I checked my junk mail folder before deleting the contents carelessly and realized that a bit of bright news for my future sat there waiting for me.  My skipping out on Contessa last week was well worth it because I was invited to a phone interview with a Teach for America representative!!!!!!!  And it only got better... Sarah Carlson showed up at work with a celebratory muffin for me.

Thank God for good friends and good food...

2 comments: