Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Journey Thus Far

We're now going into our fifth week of eating. We started strong with a lunch at the Cellar, and had fabulous pita pizzas to go along with our outstanding service. Really though, I'm not sure which we enjoyed more, the crunchy pita, the melty cheese, the three toppings included with the deal... or the fast, courteous service.

Six days later, I (Katherine) sat in 103 Yorkshire wondering about my lunch plans the following day. "Do I call Molly and ask to get lunch again? Is that too clingy?" Before I knew it, my phone was ringing and I found Molly on the other end... craving a West End sandwich. Our tradition had begun.


Being at West End brought back good memories of on-campus living. Who doesn't love squeezing through masses of freshmen while desperately searching for a table every once in a while? We ended up on the patio, a great choice for a great sandwich and even better conversation.

And not only does our tradition include lunch. We have grown accustomed to visiting Timothy the tomato plant outside of Bollos, and then proceeding to be disappointed at the lack of pumpkin chocolate chip muffins inside. After the weekly disappointment, we head to the farmer's market where we meet Sarah Carlson and others where we know we will never be let down. The Dahlia Guy is my personal favorite stop, especially after he gave me my weekly flowers at a discount for wearing my blacksburg farmer's market shirt. An apple from Farmer Ron and we can call it a day.

The next week brought us to Souvlaki; heaven in a pita. And the best part, Olga was able to join! We ate our deliciousness while catching up on life, reminiscing about our trip to Chicago, and of course, texting Adam Curfman (only to see him pass by about 5 minutes later). What a successful trip.

Finally, last week we met at More than Coffee. Olga, being an honorary eater, was able to join us again. There are rumors flying around that this will become a full-time occurrence. I had my usual pepperoni and green olive calzone, and Molly and Olga split a salad and cheese fries with bacon, an unusual but stinking sweet combination. Molly's favorite quote from a previous experience at More than Coffee with Bryan is "The best asterisk at any restaurant is... 'Add bacon for no additional charge.'" Perhaps our favorite part of the day was when Molly thought it would be a good idea to set her leftovers on the hood of my truck while we loaded our backpacks into the bed. You may be able to see where this is going. Let's just say, Roanoke street got a nice helping of salad and cheese fries with free bacon.

Now this is against protocol, but I have to tell you about Saturday... and cheese-fry-with-bacon lasagna. After the game, we had an eye-opening conversation about how cheese fries only get covered with cheese on the top, hence leaving the bottom layer of fries cheese-less. Molly and I wouldn't stand for this. We took matters into our own hands and made a deal with the guys that we'd make cheese fry with bacon lasagna (no noodles, don't get confused) if they would supply the Harvest Moon to go with the FL/LSU game. Not a great game, but we had an awesome time and at least there weren't any fries left cheese-less.

Tomorrow we're venturing to Poor Billy's, a change in plans from our original Happy Wok-sit-at-the-bar-and-people-watch idea. It's my first experience with sushi... wish me luck!


PS please don't judge me for the considerable amount of free time I have this semester. It's not my fault I'm taking 12 credits, 3 of which are online music appreciation.

1 comment:

  1. love it! hey, and you can keep me entertained while I am stuck here in studio (listening to a computer tutorial)
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete